This is a project I am involved in – piloting this in Kent. The support that Circles can offer a family is amazing.
The pro’s and con’s of paid and unpaid facilitators were discussed in Circles of Support and Personalisation by Helen Sanderson and Max Neill, and here is a summary of some of the issues.
When the facilitator is unpaid:
- Cheaper – no cost.
- Closeness of facilitator to person.
- Avoids some conflicts of interest.
- Unselfinterested motivation of facilitator.
- Family and person feel beholden to facilitator.
- Feeling of obligation to repay the facilitator in other ways.
- What happens when facilitator gets another job, moves away?
- Other conflicts of interest
- If facilitator is also a main carer, ends up with two jobs – both providing support and…
View original post 733 more words